We’re all familiar with looking at paint samples at the home store and choosing a paint finish from matte to gloss. Your painting project doesn’t have to end there, though. Excellent American Painting has the expertise to take your project to the next level and give it the look you want.
Why Add a Custom Paint Finish
A custom finish to a paint job can turn a room into a masterpiece, and who wouldn’t want to live in a masterpiece? Faux finishes can add depth and texture to a room, making painted walls appear to be marble, suede, wallpaper, and other surfaces. Custom finishes can add a dramatic flair or a subtle nuance of feeling to a space.
Types of Custom Paint Finishes
A variety of faux finishes can be used to create the look and ambience you’d like.
- Sponging – For adding a beautiful depth of color, sponging is done with natural sea sponges and several complementary paint colors or glazes.
- Ragging – Ragging is similar to sponging, except that a bunched cloth is used instead of a sponge. Ragging techniques can create a look like old leather or stucco.
- Color Wash – A color wash technique can give a room a beautifully aged look with layers of glaze in several colors in contrast to the base color.
- Striping – Classic striping can give a room an elegant look, and can mimic expensive wallpapers. Stripes can be a traditional vertical but also horizontal, diagonal, or can be in chevrons or other shapes.
- Harlequin – A harlequin design is an all-over diamond design where the diamonds can be the same or different colors.
- Textured – Textured painting is, as it sounds, the addition of a texture to the painted surface, ranging from subtle hints of texture to thick swirls and sandy looks.
- Two-Tone – A two-tone look can make a room pop with two complementary or contrasting colors, usually separated horizontally by a chair rail. Other types of two-tone painting could include vertical sections, or the use of two colors to create a textured or marbled look.
- Suede – A suede finish to a wall uses a combination of rollers and brushes to add a rich, soft look to your walls, like suede leather.
With so many options to choose from between different finishes and the world of colors available, perhaps the hardest part will be deciding what you want. Rest assured, the experienced team at Excellent American Painting are ready to help you design the finish that will work best for your space and give you the look you’ll like. You’ll even get a sample before the work starts, to ensure your satisfaction.